Day 1 Melbourne-Ballarat-Melbourne (200 km)
We will travel the stage coach route of the 1850's along Western Highway to Ballarat. Pass by the Eureka Stockade, site of the 1854 miner's rebellion. Spend the rest of our day at Sovereign Hill. Highlights of this tour:
1. Bacchus Marsh - a landscape of orchards - once a resting place for the Cobb & Co stagecoach
2. Ballarat - enjoy a complete town tour of this gracious city with its exquisite gardens and noble statues
3. Eureka Stockade - site of the 1854 Miner's Rebellion
4. Visit Sovereign Hill - an authentic recreation of an 1850's gold mining town. See & experience...
5. Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
6. Explore the Red Hill mine tour and discover life underground
7. Witness original working conditions and demonstrations of early mining equipment
8. Explore the many original shops ...
9. Blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen
10. Perhaps try some homemade boiled lollies! Maybe a Devonshire Tea at the New York Bakery
11. The Chinese Village - highlighting Chinese involvement in the goldfields
12. Why not ride a stagecoach!
13. Take in the atmosphere of Main St.
14. Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
15. Treat yourself to lunch at the United States Hotel (own expense)
16. Visit the Gold Museum - an impressive and valuable collection of gold nuggets, gold coins, alluvial deposits and priceless gold artefacts.